Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Code Talker


I just started a new book. What I said about it earlier was wrong information. It is not about American soldiers, but Navajo Indians who created a code in WWII. The book follows a six year old boy who is sent off to a boarding school from him Navajo reservation. While there he is taught by white men and told to forget his native Navajo language. By the end of boarding school the kid is doing well so he goes to high school. Eventually WWII to happens when the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor succeeds. Marines come to his high school asking specifically for Navajos. A year later the kid signs up and goes to boot camp. After the boot camp he, along with other Navajos are sent to a second camp. Here is where they will create a secret code that the Japanese can not break, it is based on their own Navajo language. So far this is all I've read, but the I think the book is interesting so far. At first I thought I wouldn't like it, but now I do.


Tell me what you think!

No comments: