Monday, April 16, 2007

I like war books!

Okay, just noticing something here. This book I'm reading now is Guadalcanal Diary. It's another war book, but its written by a journalist who tags along with these marines and sailors in the taking of the Guadalcanal island in WWII. Now, in All Quiet on the Western Front the book starts out with a slow sorrowful death of a comrade. In Guadalcanal Diary the book starts out with a lazy Sunday on the ship. The marines are happy and laughing and they actually like their jobs. This huge contrast struck me really hard. I wonder if it's the difference between German forces and American forces in WWII? Or if it's the difference between the E.T.O. and the P.T.O? But anyway, that's my little observation.

1 comment:

Colten said...

I read the Rough Riders, by Theodore Roosevelt. It's a little dull at parts, but tells you a lot about the attitude of the day at the turn of the century. Everyone was very gung ho to fight for their country. Everyone is seeking glory and to bring pride to their families. Their parents fought in the Civil War, and they have to show they are as good as the last generation. It is filled with acts of bravery. Teddy Roosevelt describes how he shot a Spaniard with a handgun when they are storming Tea Kettle Hill. I wish we had a president now who was a war hero like that, it would be awesome. Teddy Roosevelt was tough.