Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Father Knows Best


The story seems to be starting to "heat up", especially since Miss Maudie's house caught on fire in Ch. 8. It's kind of hard for me to imagine never seeing snow before, but I guess I'd be pretty excited to see the first snow since 1885. Kids at school find out that Atticus is defending a black man by the name of Tom Robinson, and Scout is ready to defend her father with her fists. However, Atticus says that he would be disappointed if she did, and he has to do what he has to do, which means defending someone that many others probably wouldn't. In Ch. 9, Scout and Jem go to visit relatives whom they really don't like, and Scout gets in yet another fight with her own cousin. Francis (cousin) starts making fun of Atticus - just like the kids at school - and Scout literally knocked his block off by hitting him in the face and cutting her ring finger. Uncle Jack seems to be a pretty cool guy, but Scout's right when she says that he doesn't know much about kids. It's nice that she heard her father talking to Uncle Jack because now she should know that she can come to her father for anything. Let's see what comes next...

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Well it isn’t strange to me because I have never seen snow outside my house before until I moved here. Because back where I lived in there wasn’t any snow and if you wanted to see snow you’d have to go drive all the way to the mountains to see it. And on the topic about Scout, she did defend her dad; it’s just that she couldn’t hit anybody for saying bad things about him.