Thursday, March 8, 2007

Brave New World

Right now I am reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I'm not very far in it yet but so far it has been pretty good. At the part that I am at the main character is giving a tour of a cloning facility. Or at least that's what I think it is. He showed them how they decided what class to put the clones into. I thought it was really wierd because they would make sure that the lower class clones would get barely enough oxygen, when they were still growing, to make them not as smart. Then they would give the higher class clones stuff to make them smarter. Also when the clones were young they would basically brain wash them. They would show them certain objects, and then when the clones got excited they would shock them and make really loud noises. This was to make them not like certain things like books and nature. I thought this was really messed up. They pretty much decided what job you would do, what class in society you were, and a bunch of other things. I think that this is what Aldous Huxley thought would happen to our society in the future. I read a book a while back called 1984 which was pretty much about the same thing, the future being really bad. When I read more, I will post about "Brave New World" again.

No comments: