Friday, March 9, 2007

Teaching Back in the Day...



This photo was taken in 1903 in Transylvania, Louisiana. I thought it was cool because it shows how life really was for sharecroppers back then. I also thought it was interesting because a lot of African Americans (and a lot of other people too) were uneducated. It mentions in To Kill A Mockingbird that Calpurnia was a lot "more educated than most black people", especially since she taught Scout how to read and write. And, since a lot of people were uneducated during this time, it amazes me that these people (being sharecroppers) could find the time to learn numbers and the alphabet. I wonder how old the boys are in this picture, and how often they have "school". It would have been cool just to see what it was like back then, which is why I found this photo quite interesting indeed.

No comments: