Thursday, March 8, 2007

Story Behind the Name



A lot of you are probably wondering why I decided to pick the name kicking fin for my blog name. Well the story goes, in the summer, when I was about 12, I was fishing with one of my best friends JJ, his dad Dwayne, and my dad. We were at one of my favorite "honey holes" down at Deny's pond. Things were move fast that day and I reckon I had about thirty in the basket in the first fifteen minutes or so. I started felling bad for Jay though because he was catch anything. So I lend him a small little old red and yellow lure to him that I didn't think much of.

Day became dawn and I knew the bite would pick up at any minute. Around a hour before dark, I wipe my head over and see Jay pulling in a nice three pounder, the only thing that could have made me smile wider is if it was me pulling in that nice bass. About five minutes pass and I look over and see him pulling in another one. Then JJ hit a spot that I knew was full of perch and bluegill. I was worried for a minute he might catch something big so I started pressuring the fish, putting the bait right in front of there noses. This worked for a little bit but then, CRASH! A monster five pounder hit Jay's bait and knocks it clear out of the water. Lucky for me JJ doesn't know how to set the hook in this situation and misses the fish. This is starting to make me a little angry because he was using my lure! A few minutes pass and Jay caught one perch after another by this time I was good and mad because time after time I had to stop fishing and unhook his fish. While taking out the hook out of a tiny bluegill that kept flopping around and hooking my fingers it finally fell off the hook and I gave it a little kick back into the water. Little did I know that little kick would send me to the emergency room.

About a week later, the pain was unbearable and on my right foot you could it start to swell up like a small grape. Mom ran me to the ER. There almost all of the doctors looked at it and couldn't figure out the problem it appeared that there was nothing inside it. After Four hours of waiting that doctor gave me some pain medication and see if it would get better. Three days later I went to a foot doctor to see what he thought. He took a X-ray and confirmed that the fish spin broke off and was in my foot.

Two days later I went in for surgery. They gassed me up and I drifted to sleep.When I woke up I didn't remember a thing. The doctor gave me the fin and sent me on my way. As you my see I was off my foot for a while, mainly watching Joe Dirt and Tombstone. JJ, Dwayne, and I were watch Joe Dirt and came across the name kickin wing. They started laughing and Dwayne said, "If he is kickin wing than I guess that makes you kickin fin." I just laughed and for now on my Indian name is kickin fin. That's why I pick kickin fin for my name.

1 comment:

m1012 said...

That is a really cool story and funny. Though i have never gotten a fin stuck in my toe, nor have I caught a five pounder bass. But i do have a story about one being caught. One time that my family and I were fishing, my brother spotted a lunker. I don't think it was 5 lbs., but I do believe it was 4 lbs. and a quater, or something like that. Well, anyways, my brother had been fishing that trout all morning. My dad, brother, and I usually get up early to go fish because that is when the fishing is good. So, my brother did not want to go in for breakfast until he caught that fish, afraid that someone elso might catch it. My dad I finally convinced him that the fish would still be there when we came back later that evening, I think he also was getting a bit hungary. So, we went back ate breakfast and hung out and enjoyed the outdoors for a little while. My brother decides to go back early, even though the fishing is not that great, but he didn't want to take a chance on loosing that trout. When the rest of us went back my brother was still fishing that trout. So, anyways he did end up getting the fish, and it is now in his room, and we have named it O' Charlie, sounded like a pretty suiteable name for a fish. But now my dad is determined to get a lunker, because my brother got one before him and well, you can use your imagination on that one.